10 Experiences You Should Have in the Maldives
The Maldives is the dream destination of pretty much anyone you speak to – and rightly so too. This collection of islands offers some of the most beautiful scenery in the world and weather that’s almost reliably sunny all year round. If you’ve ever been to the Maldives, then you’ll already know how amazing it is but if you haven’t, I’ll just come out and say it – the Maldives lives up to the hype!
If you’re planning a trip to the Maldives soon, or even if you’re just day dreaming about visiting, here are 10 experiences you need to have when you do visit the Maldives:
1. Go snorkelling: this is the best way to see all the beautiful and colourful tropical fish – not to mention the dazzling array of coral too! Snorkelling in the Maldives is unlike anywhere else, especially as the visibility is very good and the diversity of ocean life here is mind-boggling!
2. Watch the sunset with a cocktail: Maldivian sunsets are the things legends are made of and there’s no better way to take this beauty in that with a cocktail in hand and no plans to do anything else but relax.
3. Watch the dolphins play: Taking a dolphin cruise when you’re in the Maldives is so worth it as its one of the best places to go dolphin watching (also you have more of a chance of seeing them here).
4. Stay in a water villa: Don’t get us wrong – this will cost you a bit more but the experience has to be had in the Maldives, even if just for one night. These villas typically are kitted up in the most luxurious style and ideal for the decadence you secretly (or not so secretly) know you deserve.
5. Help in turtle conservation: Turtles are so cute aren’t they? In the Maldives, a lot of islands (not all though) tend to have marine biologist and turtle conservation projects where visitors can help out and get up close to these amazing animals. Even if you’re not into turtles, this is the of the best ways to practice the mantra ‘Leave a place better than you found it’.
6. Take a sunset cruise: Just make sure it comes with champagne too! 😉
7. Go swimming with sharks: The idea of swimming with sharks is terrifying but not in the Maldives. In the Maldives, you can swim with 5 – 6 foot long black tip sharks (they eat small fish) and earn the bragging rights of saying you’ve swam with sharks!
8. Have a relaxing spa day: You’re on holiday after all and to be honest, you’re not bound to find as many spas anywhere else in the world with such a beautiful view!
9. Feed some stingrays: Quite a few resorts in the Maldives have their local population of sting rays which you can feed at certain times of the day and this experience is definitely one you can’t have in many other places in the world! Just remember to steer clear of the ones you see when you’re out and about snorkelling and only feed the ones you’ve been told are okay.
10. See the bioluminescent plankton: You’ll probably recognise pictures from Google or Pinterest showing beaches covered in tiny little lights (almost like a starry night’s sky). Well those pictures are from the Maldives and if you’re here at the right time of the year, you can get to see this for yourself too!